Thursday, July 24, 2008

Minor Victory for the Humanities

No, I'm not done with this silly programming project yet.

I did, however, manage to write a subroutine that pleased me. There is a place where I needed to invent this subroutine:

Public Sub BedOfProcrustes(ByRef strCurrentLine As String)

It's a subroutine that looks at a line, and if it's shorter than n characters it stretches it out to n characters; if it's longer than n characters, it chops it off to n characters.

I thought it was sort of clever. (Hey, I'm hard up for amusement.) But as it turns out, the idea of a Procrustian String variable was already introduced by Sinclair (remember them?) back at the dawn of the PC age. It just never caught on.

As the Barenaked Ladies song laments, It's All Been Done Before.

No comments: